(Planet Me)
Saturday, July 21, 2007
 
Harry Potter And The Temple Of Doom


Last night, someone in our family went to Asda at midnight and came back with a book. E appears to have got all Pottered up recently, whilst I merely take it as a piece of above-average hokum. I've read the first five books, primarily because for a while every woman in my life was mad about the wizard, and it was the only way I might concievably get laid. Interesting to see what the fuss is all about, I suppose. Italian girls would point excitedly at me as I read the books on the Tube.

I have little interest in it, but I did want to see the literary pheonomenon myself : however I had gone to bed at 8pm in a state of fatigue and headaches. Apparently, the car park was full, and cars queued up outside the car park, waiting to get in there. Everyone in the shop was queuing, with a copy of a hardback in their hand. Asda alone had purchased half a million copies, and sold each for £5 - losing them £4.89 for each copy sold. This morning I was up there myself, and at least two thirds of the people in the shop had a copy of a hardback book in their hands and their trolleys. Already shares in the publisher Scholastic have dipped 30% after publication of the work.

I woke up this morning, read the last paragraph, and decided I'll wait. There may never be another publishing event like this for a long time, and I like being in a world of my own sometimes.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

website stats