(Planet Me)
Thursday, July 26, 2007
 
Kill Your Television


It's been a couple of years since we had to buy a televison. Last time, we purchased a 28" Bush from John Lewis in Kingston, a marked down display model. Since then, it appears the Cathode Ray Tube has become obselete and been replaced by the LCD. I have no idea what LCD is (apart from gifting a talented band their name), and to be blunt, I don't care. I don't care if my TV has a massive lump at the back of it : I'm far more bothered by what the picture looks like and how much it costs. I was very happy to buy a CRT 28" TV for £139, but E had her heart set on LCD : not that I care. All I want it is to push out the visuals.

On the old TV the Cathode Ray Tude died and was pimping out colours that were perverse. Lightning McQueen was luminous green, for heavens sake. Flesh tones were perverse deep blues and it looked as if I were on very bad drgz. What was apparent is that hardly anyone makes CRT TV's these days, In the Comet, they only had 6 CRT's and about 4,128 LCD TV's.It's not interesting stuff, but it really was a culture shock for me. John Lewis, as part of their aftersales policy, refunded us 85% of the value of the TV, which is nice - and if I'd've been in charge we'd've bought the CRT to turn a tidy profit on the deal : profit I'd probably use to buy CD's or something.



Nonetheless, we bought this.

Enough of me, what are you listening to these days?

Comments:
if you still had a clean picture and not blurred then it sounds like your tube needed Degaussing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degaussing
I would have brought you my magic wand around and waved it at the TV its one of these http://www.alfaglade.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1215
 
I'm currently addicted to Diorama, but have also been listening to Front Line Assembly (got to see them live yesterday).

I'm going through my cd collection this weekend to fill my new computer up a bit. My old one died, so I get to rip loads of stuff again.
 
I am still addicted to the new(-ish) Maximo Park album, but I'm gratifyingly also earworming lots of of ropey heavy metal. Nice one!

ST
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

website stats