(Planet Me)
Friday, January 30, 2009
 
One Of The Worst Days Of My Life
DSC01260

I was in bed Monday night when it happened.

Months, years, I have been trying to get on with life. There is the idea, the concept of masculinity, the dogged determination I have. I will defeat The Baddies through my constant persistence, I will defy their effeorts through my ingenuity and the fact that I am morally right in my conflicts, and I will perserve and overcome.

After 35 years of fighting assholes and pricks, officious bureaucrats, ill-thought out laws, the evils of Plausible Deniability, the bias of the law when it comes to males (i.e. a woman is always believed, a man always doubted), morons who can't shut up on the train, my own neurosis, corporate abuse and doublebluffing, I have had enough. I have fought the bastards long enough, and for some reason, I find myself like some poorly controlled video game character, forced to endlessly repeat the same wars, fight the same baddies forever, as if my life were Sysphus Miner, and I am doomed to forever battle an endless series of endlessly repeating tasks of immense proportions.

I just want to let my life unfold without conflict. Without people thinking that they can fuck with me. I do not want to be fucked with by anyone. I will fight to the death if I am forced to, but I really don't want to. If I do not stand against abusive behaviour, I condone it. I cannot respect myself if I do not defend myself from certain behaviours.

About 1am on Tuesday morning I broke. I can only fight for so long, only fight so hard, and then I find that, like a man fighting terminal cancer, that the will is not stronger than the world. I simply could not fight anymore. I had no more willpower, no more energy.

I crumbled. I had a panic attack for three long hours. Everything was collapsing in on itself, everything was out to get me, the world was cruelly carrying on regardless of me, nobody cared if I lived or died, nobody knew anything,no matter how little sleep I got, no matter how exhausted I was, no matter how I wanted to jump under a train, no matter if I was hungry, or tired, no matter anyfuckingthing in the world, that time always comes, the alarm always goes off, I always get up, I always go to work, I always spend 90 minutes on a train in the morning and two hours in the afternoon, and I always have to endure this torture, day after day after day after day, a gross and seemingly infinite punishment for some crime I'm not sure I ever committed against some faceless corporation that abused its power and someone who I am understandably unhappy about. And nobody cared. I could have killed myself, and only the person with me would've known. Only the person with me saved my life. All the world sees is me as a machine that runs at a certain speed and is not allowed to get ill. I'm not allowed to have feelings and I'm not allowed to break down. I cried and screamed and hyperventilated and collapsed and I have never been so helpless and scared in my life. I didn't know if I was losing who I was forever and I was never coming back.

I have been signed off work. I am not sure when I am returning. I am having difficulty interacting with anyone on any level about anything. I had a near panic attack in the doctors the day after, trembling hands, racing heart rate. And on Wednesday when I had to buy stamps I was able to do it, but was practically comatose for the rest of the day. I didn't want to return home as I was scared, and so sat at the cinema and watching Valkriye and Frost/Nixon rather than face the empty house and the cat.

I am weak, and I need to heal. It will take time. I may return back to normality. I can see parts of me coming back, and I like who I see.

But no more wars. No more. This soldier can fight no more.

Comments:
Mark, Take your time, just get better. Good Luck
 
*hug*

Indeed, take your time and take care of yourself.

And no matter what you might say, there ARE people out there that care if you're there or not.
 
There certainly are (what Marianne said)... I'm sure there are more of them than you know.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

website stats