(Planet Me)
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
 
Bricks and Mortar

Editors, Bricks And Mortar.. from In This Light And On This Evening

The last time my life was this ace was when I was four and my Grandma brought me a Star Wars T-shirt in the sunshine summer of '77. I have scaled a sort of peace and armistice with the wars of life that I never quite thought I could reach, with a companion with whom I laugh more and more often than anything I have experienced in a long time.

I miss John next door, who died two weeks ago. He was 78. Everytime I come home I see the light on and know he is not home. The last time I saw him he knocked on our door with a Christmas card - he didn't come in to meet our 2 week old son as he had a cold. Now, Luke is five weeks of age.

I'm already starting to feel details of his birth fade from memory : what I do remember is that I had no idea I would be standing in those shoes for 88 hours, and even the most comfortable shoes start to feel like shards of broken rock after three days.

Life is hard and beautiful : I don't often get to sit down and spend any time for myself, unless I am on a train going to and from work. But life is what it is, and what it is is a brilliant, beautiful, bonkers adventure.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

Powered by Blogger

website stats