with the release of the 2014 reissue of underworlds dubnobasswithmyheadman, I decided to see what it would be like to recreate a studio version of the much loved Cowgirl/Rez medley that underworld have been playing live for most of the past 20 years. With that done, nothing exceeds like excess, and inspired by a deep love of long lost days of Extended mix 12” singles, and a sudden abundance of newly mastered and previously unreleased studio material, jams, mixes, recordings, and variations, I decided to tackle the whole of underworlds classic album, and remix the whole damn thing.
2 months later, and I present dubnobasswithmyremixman, a 175 minute, 59 second / 10,569 second reimagining of the original album, using (with one exception of a 2000-era Futureshock remix of 'Cowgirl'), nothing but original 1992-1994 Underworld recordings, spliced, diced, mixed and edited in WavePad and MixPad, with (minor) additional production, remixing, and editing between 29th September 2014 and 18th November 2014. All versions, where possible have been taken from the dubnobasswithmyheadmansperdeluxeedition reissue, and the accompanying “Cutting Room Floor” mixes posted on the internet by the band. Where the tracks have not been remastered / reissued I have used the original 1994-1995 CD issues with some volume boosting of around 12% to match. Not one second has been sped up, pitch changed, or otherwise altered beyond some minor ambient effects such as occasional use of reverse, reverb, echo, etc. I hope this project puts a new and enlightening perspective on one of the finest records ever made.
This is what you want, this is what you get.
All files should be tagged with metadata for your iTunes Libraries.
1. Dark And Long (Darker, Longer). Re-edited using the 2014 remasters of the original track, as well as the 7" single mix, the Cutting Room Floor mix, and the 1st Ruff Mix from the stitched together in WavePad/MixPad to create a longer, more expansive mix of the track. November 2014.
2. Mmmm Skyscraper I Love You (The Directors Cut). Re-Edit/Remix of "mmm skyscraper i love you", made using the 2014 Remastered versions of the LP mix, Kyme Road Version, After Sky demo mix, and The A1765 Mix. 22 minutes of bleepy bloops. October 2014,
3. Surfboy (The Deep Wave). Re-edit of Underworld's "Surfboy" and "Spoon Deep", taken from 2014 remaster of the original track and 1995 CD single release of "Dark And Long". "Spoon Deep" is meant to be a remix of Dark & Long, but contains large elements of "Surfboy", and since taken from a 1995 CD, volume adjusted +12% to match the 2014 remaster. Mix, editing and additional production in MixPad / WavePad November 2014.
5. Tongue (Gene Simmons Mix). Since only one version of the track has been released, the options have been limited, and the 2014 remastered version has been used as the base recording, with sections looped, replaced, and effects added. Mixed in WavePad/MixPad November 2014.
6. Dirty (The Epic Mix) 38 Minute Remix of Underworld / Lemon Interrupt's "Dirty Epic", featuring the 2014 remastered versions of "Dirty", "Dirty Epic", "Dirty Guitar", "Dirty (Cutting Room Lemonworld Mix)", "Dirty (Ambient Piano Mix)", remixed and re-edited in November 2014 in WavePad/MixPad.
7 Cowgirl (the rez v69 symphony) : Re-edit of Underworld's "Cowgirl", using elements of the original 1993 single 12" A+B-sides, the "Irish Pub In Kyoto" and "Winjer" versions, the 2000 Futureshock remix, and the newly released extra versions on the 5CD box set of "dubnobasswithmyheadman", as well as "Rez". September-October 2014.
8 Jamscraper Telegraph (Version) Rearrangement of versions of "Mmmm... Skyscraper, I Love You", concentrating on the Jamscraper, and Telegraph, versions from the 12” B-side, arranged to create one 15 minute track. Created using MixPad/WavePad and the 2014 Remastered Versions. October 2014.
*… wait, why no “River Of Bass”? Only one version of the song has been officially released, and I couldn't get any version to work successfully.
9. Remix/Re-edit of "Mother Earth" by Underworld, using the 1994 LP mix (2014 remaster) and "Cutting Room Mix", spliced, diced, edited, and mixed in WavePad/MixPad on 18th November 2014 (That's right, all done in one day!)
There's also a download link. Comment for details. Thanks.
Links to this post: